Tuesday, October 21, 2008

How I made my wreath

Thanks for the comments on my wreath. A couple of you wanted to know how I did it. The first reason I decided to do the project is because I got a wreath at the good will really cheap and secondly I got the foliage and etc on sale. Otherwise this project would be more expansive to make than to buy. But if you look at the fact that you change the look of your wreath without buying a new one that's a deal too.

The first part was trying to decide what I wanted the wreath to look like. I wanted a wreath that would look good for fall and winter (a lot easier on the budget). So I knew that I wanted some evergreen looking foliage. I wanted some red (a Christmas color) and I wanted some either yellow or orange for that fall feel. Well I thought I knew what I wanted but it was a lot harder picking it out. When it comes to picking things out I think you just have to hold them together agaisnt each other to see it they match. You just have to pick up every shade of color you were thinking of and some you weren't thinking of until it looks like it blends. When I got it home I first started with my base. I just put in one green piece weaving the stem part through the wreath. Then I took a second piece and laid it down on top where I thought it should lay in relation to the first. When it comes to this I was just guessing and it really is personal preference depending on how thick you want it, how many other things you have to add and your budget. Once I had all of the green in I looked at my other items and laid them down in an alternating pattern that I thougt looked good, trying to space them as best I could (its not perfect and I think that I will do a better job next time). Once I figured out in what pattern to do it I just had to start spacing and weaving.

The other thing that I'm still not quite sure about is how the placement of each piece on the wreath effects the look. A wreath is 3D with an the ability to place something closer to the inside or farther to the outside. And depending on the placement weather closer in or farther out results in different looks. Basically I just followed my instincts, made a few mistakes, took some stuff back, wasn't afraid to try, and did the best I could. I hoped this helped answer some questions and inspire you to try your own. Happy crafting.

No comments: